Whether you live in or are planning a visit, this USA bucket list is a comprehensive list of things you MUST do in the states.
Having been to all 50 states now, you can imagine there is so much to see and do and narrowing down a list could be challenging. So I have sorted the list down for you to make it easier. Most of these USA bucket list places are well known and others, not so much. There is a good variety to keep you busy in your travels.
So whether you are looking for extreme adventure or just a fun day exploring, this list of USA bucket list destinations has it all.
USA Bucket List: The Ultimate Guide Of Things To Do In America
1. See a Bald Eagle in the wild in Alaska
Is there anything MORE majestic than seeing bald eagles in America’s Last Frontier? I think not. This should be high on your USA bucket list and Alaska bucket list!
2. Visit Sequoia National Park in California
… and feel about three inches tall. While you are there, take in these outdoor quotes that let you feel the power of nature.
3. Visit the Capitol of the United States, Washington, D.C.
while here, see the White House and visit the Smithsonian Museums. It wouldn’t be a USA bucket list trip without stopping here to see where the central government operates from and the hustle and bustle of the city. Double points if you try one of the Michelin rated restaurants, like Masseria.
4. Graceland Tennessee
The man, the myth, the Legend – Mr. Elvis
Of all the things to do in Woodstock, Vermont – fall foliage is on the top!
6. Head to New York for some EPIC sightseeing
Broadway and delicious food should also be on the list! Make sure to plan your itinerary in advance and check out all the free things to do! Check out this New York City bucket list to make sure you don’t miss the New York must dos!
7. Explore Antelope Canyon in Page, Arizona.
Please note you need to join a tour to visit. While you are in the area, make sure to stop and see Horseshoe Bend which is equally as impressive.
8. Visit the southernmost Point of the Continental US in Key West.
You will need to wait in line to get your picture taken BUT this is a USA bucket list must!
9. Spend a day being a kid at the Disney Parks in Orlando, Florida.
Plan in advance and if you can, go during non peak times like outside of summer, spring break and the holiday season. You will be able to avoid crowds and get to ride more things.
10. Attend BLINK
The outdoor immersive light and art experience in Cincinnati, Ohio!
11. Explore the Country Music Hall of Fame
Located in Nashville, Tennessee
12. Visit the Salem Witch Trials
They were held in Salem, Massachusetts and there is a reenactment and walking tours in the area.
13. View Arches National Park in Utah
14. See the smallest state: Rhode Island
15. Catch a desert sunset in Saguaro National Park, Arizona.
One of life’s simple joys is a sunset bursting in multiple colors in the desert of Arizona.
16. Plan a trip and take a tour of Chicago, Illinois.
17. Take in a baseball game and eat wieners to your hearts content
18. Cruise through stunning Glacier Bay in Alaska
The best way to see Alaska is cruising through Glacier Bay.
19. Visit Pearl Harbor in Oahu, Hawaii
20. Attend Burning Man in Nevada and learn the art of survival in the hot desert
21. Drive Highway 1 in California
Your California bucket list should include highway 1!
22. Eat all the cheese in Wisconsin and become a cheese head!
23. Feeling nostalgic, visit the Jersey Shore in New Jersey
24. See the White Sands National Monument in New Mexico
25. Attend the Balloon Fiesta in Albuquerque, New Mexico
One of the most epic events in the USA each year is the Balloon Fiesta. It is a must!
26. Driving the Road to Hana in Maui
27. Eat at Zahav, The James Beard Award winning restaurant in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Mike Solomonov created something magical at Zahav. The Israeli cuisine is absolutely exquisite! Make sure to get a Zahav reservation in advance, they are always booked.
28. Visit the rushing water at Niagara Falls in New York
29. Experiencing the magic that is Mackinac Island in Michigan
This island is a top USA bucket list destination that should not be missed
30. Attend Mardi Gras in Louisiana – ride on a float in a parade for extra points
31. Drive the Skyline Drive, Shenandoah National Park, in Virginia during the fall
The National Parks in Virginia are beautiful, but nothing beats Shenandoah National Park in the fall.
32. Take a schooner cruise off the coast of Maine and experience a Maine summer with cool winds and lobster
33. Experience the stunning Cherry Blossoms in Washington, D.C. during the spring
34. Explore the red rocks and see the Chapel of the Holy Cross in Sedona, Arizona
35. Go on a wine trip through Napa in California
36. Get your epic Monument Valley photo like Forest Gump
37. Eat beignets in New Orleans
38. Visit mini Las Vegas in Atlantic City, New Jersey
39. Take a beautiful jaunt on the Kanacamagus Highway during the fall in New Hampshire
40. Cross the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, California
41. Spend a couple days exploring Zion with an epic itinerary
42. Grab your credit cards and visit the biggest Mall in the US: The Mall of America, located in Minnesota
43. Explore Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming
44. Visit New Hampshire in the fall
For the most beautiful scenery on the wast coast, you should visit New Hampshire in the fall!
45. Rent a convertible and drive from Miami to Key West
46. Just don’t forget to wear sunscreen!
47. Explore Yellowstone National Park during the winter on a “monster Truck”
48. Get a two for one: watch a sunset and see live music in Colorado at the Red Rocks Amphitheater
49. Visit Meow Wolf in Santa Fe, New Mexico for a mind bending experience
50. Enjoy a summer beach trip to the Outer Banks in North Carolina
51. Stop and get a selfie with the Biggest Fork in America in Colorado
52. Take a river boat gambling trip
53. Explore the Winchester Mystery House in San Jose, California
54. Learn to ski in Aspen or Vail, Colorado
55. Head to Ann Arbor, Michigan to see an EPIC game at the Big House by the University of Michigan
56. Eat your way through Charleston, South Carolina while visiting Rainbow Row
57. Take a trip to Las Vegas and experience all that Sin City has to offer
58. Get yourself a some proper attire and a mint julep and hit the Kentucky Derby
59. Visit the Hollywood sign in California
60. Drive what is left of Route 66
61. Take a boat out to Alcatraz
62. Stay at the Stanley Hotel (YES! from the movie) in Estes Park, Colorado
63. Visit the St. Louis Arch in Missouri
64. Walk the Skywalk at the Grand Canyon in Arizona
65. Spend some time on the Island of Oahu in Hawaii visiting the Beaches
66. Stay at the Versace Mansion in Miami
67. Drive to Mount Rainier in Washington
68. Sail the Chesapeake Bay in Maryland
69. Drive the amazing scenery at Glacier National Park in Montana
If you are planning your National Park Bucket List, Glacier National Park should be at the top!
70. See the Northern Lights and all their glory in Alaska
71. See orcas at Orcas Island in Washington
72. Enjoy blue crabs in Annapolis, Maryland
73. Visit the narrowest house in Alexandria, Virginia.
This USA bucket list destination is just minutes from Washington, D.C. so you can loop it in as a dual destination.
74. Take a trip to foodie paradise: The Minnesota State Fair.
You will want to plan ahead for this event. See what is new, where things are located and make a plan. If you just show up, you could get lost and end up not even eating what you wanted.
75. Eat the world’s best BBQ in the state of Texas.
I can’t say where you should go exactly because it is ALL good and Texas takes its BBQ very seriously.
76. Swim in the crystal clear blue waters of Havasu Falls in Arizona.
Stick around and check out Beaver Falls along the creek. Note: this is a huge USA bucket list destination and getting there is not easy. Do your research before venturing out.
The Havasu Falls Hike will reward you with these views!
77. Rent a penthouse in Las Vegas and live it up for a weekend
78. Walk the Freedom Trail in Boston, Massachusetts
79. Head to South Dakota to see the Badlands, Wall Drug and Mount Rushmore
80. Calling all fans of the Goonies! Head to Oregon and pay a visit to Astoria and Cannon Beach
81. Stand up paddle board in Lake Tahoe, California where the water is crystal clear!
82. Heading to Alabama? Don’t miss a race at Talladega. SHAKE AND BAKE
83. Walk the San Antonio River Walk in Texas
84. Explore the Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure in sunny Orlando, Florida.
Make sure to get a park hopper pass so you can ride the Hogwarts Express between the two parks.
85. Visit Miami for the beaches, Wynwood Walls and Cuban food
Take the needle up to new heights in Seattle and see the city from a different perspective.
86. Explore The Wave in Arizona
Pro tip – access is very hard as permits are only given at 20 per day!
87. Take a cruise to Alaska
88. Hike Angel’s Landing at Zion National Park in Utah
89. Visit the Kennedy Space Center in Florida
And while you are in the area, check out all the free things to do in Orlando.
90. Big Sur in California
91. Visit the Neon Museum in as Vegas, where signs of buildings past go to die
92. Rent a boat for the day and enjoy the Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri
93. Take the Jurassic Park ATV tour in Hawaii
94. Ready to feel like a kid again? Visit Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio and ride the roller coasters ALL DAY!
95. Visit Joshua Tree National Park
Plan ahead with these tips for visiting Joshua Tree National Park.
96. Visit Yosemite National Park
Spend a weekend exploring the park and make sure to rent one of the Yosemite cabins for your stay!
Tips for Visiting
Always plan to get travel insurance. You never know when you will have a covered trip interruption, lose luggage or even hurt yourself. So many times we needed it and didn’t have it – now we don’t travel without it.
A road trip is a great way to take on a United States bucket list trip, especially if you have plenty time.
Pins for Pinterest: