Ever since the Movie ‘The Bucket List’ graced our screens several years ago, everyone has been looking for ways to increase their livelihood while still being alive. What I have put together is a a set of unique bucket list ideas for travelers that aren’t all the same photos that you are flooded with on Instagram and Pinterest. People who are looking for a new adventure should start here.
Sure, Cappadocia is incredible waking up to the balloons rising. So is seeing a sunset over Santorini, Greece. But what about all the other world destinations? This is why I have put together a comprehensive unique bucket list ideas for travelers guide.
You of course should travel however you feel comfortable because its your bucket list. But keep in mind there is so much more world out there than the same 10 destinations that keep popping up on our feeds daily. Don’t be afraid to be different and experience something that not everyone is doing.
There are about 10 places in the world that are so over packed with tourists that they want to restrict tourism. Its extremely important that people branch out in their travels and not all rush to the same destinations at once. Some countries and cities can’t handle the huge increase and for that reason, I offer you 48 unique bucket list ideas!
48 Unique Bucket List Ideas For Travelers
- Get a credit card that rewards you with travel so you can plan an around the world trip using all miles. I can’t stress enough how imperative this is. I use the Chase Sapphire Reserve and go on endless trips with miles!
- Also – this is not sponsored by Chase – this is my real life.
- Dragon boat racing in Taiwan.
- Visit Isla Bolbox. While the destination is gaining popularity, Tulum by far still surpasses in visitors.
- Ride the local train through Sri Lanka To Kandy. Not only is this the fastest AND easiest way to get from point A to point B, but the views of tea terraces and landscape will blow you away.
- Visit the Galapagos Archipelago. People do visit here but not many. I know 2 people who have been and I work in the travel industry. It is still not that popular and offers its visitors a unique look at unspoiled territory and wildlife.
- See gorillas in Rwanda. How adventurous does this sound? We have probably ALL seen a gorilla in the zoo – but never in its natural habitat.
- Bike down the Death Road in Bolivia.
- Dine underwater in Maldives… because you can.
- See the door to hell in Turkmenistan so you can get a glimpse into the afterlife.
- Stay in an over water bungalow in Bocas del Toro, Panama. Sure, you could go to Maldives or Bora Bora, everyone wants to because it is gorgeous. But Panama will cost a fraction of the price and is stunning.
- Sleep in an Ice hotel in Sweden because its a unique experience but also so you have the chance to see the Northern Lights.
- See Komodo Dragons in Indonesia because dragon!
- Sunrise in New Mexico to see the balloons lift off at the International Balloon Fiesta. I love Cappadocia as much as the next person and it IS one of my favorite cities. However, the Balloon Fiesta in New Mexico was mind blowing. Over 500+ balloons took off into the sky.
- Clam diving off Samal Island in the Philippines.
- Drive the road to Hana. This is not for the faint of heart because this stretch of drive has over 50+ one way bridges and endless switchbacks.
- Admire the architecture in Uzbekistan.
- Get a tan on the pink sand beach in Bermuda: Horseshoes Bay Beach.
- See Moai at Easter Island.
- Visit fairy-tale island: Vero, Denmark so you can feel like royalty for a day.
- Ride the Trans-Siberian Railway across Russia
- Take a Maine Windjammer cruise. If you love adventure, this may be one of the most unique bucket list ideas! You get to live aboard an old schooner and sail through Maine.
- Wine tour through Stellenbosch, South Africa. Think wine pairings with salts, cupcakes and all things delicious. Bonus, you can explore South Africa.
- Cherry blossoms in Washington, D.C. I know everyone runs off to Japan and Europe to see these beautiful buds, but Washington, D.C. has quite the gorgeous array of cherry blossoms to offers its visitors around the Tidal Basin.
- See the world from the top of the Burj Khalifa. If you want to see Dubai look like a lego set from above, take the over 1,800+ feet ride to the very top and walk outside and look down.
- Hang out with meerkats in Africa because why not?
- Visit Popeye Village in Malta.
- See the midnight sun in Norway because it will take your breath away with its beauty.
- Eat Michelin rated ramen in Japan.
- Take a river cruise down the Mississippi so you can admire America in a new way.
- See Dongchuan Red Land in Xintian, China.
- Road trip the Faroe Islands. Where? Exactly! Located by Greenland and Iceland and part of the EU, this gorgeous place is just waiting for your arrival. Think picturesque towns, dramatic cliffs, and maybe you will see a puffin or two.
- Eat and dance your way through Havana. Until recently, Cuba was off limits to U.S. citizens. GO NOW!! You won’t regret this trip.
- If you are looking for an easy way to experience Havana, take a cruise.
- Take a seasonal job on a remote island in Northern Michigan at Mackinac Island. If you want to travel and save money to keep traveling, this unique working adventure allows you to live on this island that has no cars. Everything is done on foot or by horse and carriage.
- See all the lemurs in Madagascar.
- Visit the most beautiful beach in the world: Anse Source d’Argent. Located in Seychelles.
- Learn to kite surf in Bonaire.
- Visit black sand beaches in Jeju, South Korea.
- Stay at the only 7 star hotel in Dubai at the Burj Al Arab. Once you check in and see your room, you will see why this is one of the most unique bucket list ideas on here. The sheer opulence will have you mesmerized.
- Take an air boat through the Everglades to see the crocodiles and alligators.
- Get a fancy hat and attend the Kentucky Derby and prepare to drink mint juleps because that’s how you do it.
- Dine at all the Michelin Star Restaurants in the world.
- Visit Chernobyl because it is untouched and there is a lot of history here that most people never see.
- Take a road trip through Namibia.
- See the Marble Caves in Chile.
- Participate in throwing tomatoes at La Tomatina in Spain so you can experience an adult food fight.
- VIsit Pamukkale, a lesser known incredible area of Turkey and see the mineral rich water cascading over white travertine terraces.
- Sand boarding in Huacachina in Peru.
- Visit the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah because they aren’t in South America and easier to get to.
Do any of these unique bucket list ideas jump out at you? I recommended a lot of things I have done OR want to do that I have not seen over saturated. I am always on the lookout for new and exciting things I have not seen a lot of people doing. Of course everyone knows someone who has done these things because people love to live. I truly think these unique bucket list ideas are begging for more people to experience them.
Even as a travel writer and photographer I am drawn to the places that everyone else is going to because everyone in my industry is sharing these images. However, I have been trying to visit lesser known places and highlight different cities as a way to be different. If you think I should add anything to this unique bucket list items, leave a comment or email me. <3
Pin for Pinterest:
I just booked a trip to Panama to stay at one of the overwater bungalows! So excited for it!