Just a little over 2 years ago I started traveling solo – and I fell in love. I strongly encourage everyone to travel at least once solo in their life. The things you are going to learn about yourself are going to change you. You are strong, you are fiercely independent, you are a problem solver, and most importantly, you are going to learn to love your company – because you are enough.
Here are 11 trips to travel solo this year:
- Iceland – it only seems fitting that I would start with my first solo trip. Iceland changed me in a way I will never be able to comprehend into words for you to read – but just know that this country, this small island, is full of magic around every corner. From waterfalls to the Northern Lights to glaciers – you are going to love it.
- Singapore – this trip was one of my favorites. Singapore is this small country full of diversity and amazing things to do. Most famous for having the tallest and biggest infinity pool in the world on top of the Marina Bay Sands and the fairy tale like Gardens by the Bay. A stay at the Ritz Carlton Millenia Singapore will give you amazing views of the city and make sure to get a room with a bathtub overlooking the city. Treat yourself!
- Go on a Caribbean Cruise – Norwegian Cruise Line has singles rooms on a lot of their ships now – and as an added bonus, you get access to solo travelers lounge and activities they arrange just for you. Of course you can stay anywhere you want on the ship, its your vacation – but if you are looking for an extremely easy way to meet other solo travelers, this is the way to go.
- Bali – I could not leave Bali off the list – mostly because you are going to fall in love here. I spent two weeks here in December and it was just the most amazing experience. The Balinese hospitality is second to none, the food is unreal, the villas are unbelievable, and the massages are like $6USD (make sure you leave a very nice tip). I haven’t been every where in Asia, but currently this is the country I would pick if I could only send you to one place there. Move around while you are there: stay in the city of Ubud or in a little bit more countryside of the area, go to Jimbaran, Seminyak – all the places!
- Orlando, Florida – It doesn’t matter how old you are – Disney and Universal are always going to let you be the inner kid that you are. I, like many people, never went to Disney as a kid – but I went as an adult and I feel like I have a much deeper appreciation for it. Universal Studios is also this incredible place of theatrics, areas that look like popular American cities, and even the Wizarding World of Harry Potter!
- Philippines – I do have a thing for SE Asia, I won’t lie. This was my first trip here and I spent nearly a month island hoping and exploring this amazing destination. Did you know the Philippines are made up of over 7,000+ islands? That is pretty spectacular. Your money will go far here, the food is incredible, the beauty of this country is insane, and you are never going to feel lonely – because in the Philippines, everyone is your friend. Here are my best tips for visiting. The nice thing about the Philippines is that it is easy and relatively cheap on the wallet to island hop – don’t miss El Nido, Bohol, Davao, and of course, Manila!
- Dubai – I did not travel solo here – I traveled with another girlfriend – BUT I would go back in a heartbeat and I would go solo. Both of us spent time apart exploring and time together. I never felt safer while I was here. Dubai is this grand country full of towering skyscrapers, luxury hotels, yachts, amazing food, mind bending attractions – this is a place you will never get bored. Whether you are exploring all the new offerings of Dubai or heading to Old Dubai to ride an Abra and explore the souks, you are going to love it.
- Mackinac Island, Michigan – easily one of my favorite places in the world and hopefully the place I will retire one day and open a shop of some sort. This island is nestled in between the upper and lower peninsulas of Michigan. Only accessible by small plane or ferry and no cars allowed on the island. You can walk or ride your bike throughout the island or even take a horse carriage. The island is small, only about 8 miles around – so catching a sunrise and sunset is going to be easy. The island offers two big hotels: The Grand Hotel and Mission Point Resort – then has a plethora of bed and breakfasts or smaller hotels to stay in. The island is beautiful and only operational between the months of May-October(opening and closing slightly before May and closing in November).
- Paris – I did not like Paris the first time I went. I was jet-legged and everything seemed to be going wrong in the 2 days I gave myself to adventure there. You need more than 2 days if you are coming from a far place – at least for your body to adjust. But I went back last summer and I loved it. I explored the city mostly by foot and its really this beautiful place that I could spend months just roaming around in. The buildings are beautiful, the smell of fresh baguettes fill the air, the sweet sound of the french language surrounds your ears, and its just this place that I have come to love.
- Ireland – I am Irish and Scottish and dreamed of visiting here one day. Last year I made that a reality. I stayed in Dublin and took a day trip out to see the Cliffs of Moher. The island is so green from all the rain it gets and is deserving of its title “The Emerald Isle.” Get a pint of Guinness, make friends with an Irish Lad, get a milkshake the size of your face and have no shame in finishing it, and mostly – walk away with a million memories.
- Lake Tahoe, California – Full disclosure, I only went during the summer and man, is it magical. I am not a hiker but I think my trip there may have inspired me to give it a shot. I found Lake Tahoe to be this mesmerizing nature lovers paradise. If you only go one place in the United States this year – go here. The sunsets are unreal, the morning fog nestled in the mountains and waking up with coffee to watch it lift – that is going to be a great morning.
You go to all those places on solo? Amazing photos…
Wonderful post! Such great pictures and I am inspired to see some new places! I am questioning how I have lived in California my entire life and NEVER been to Lake Tahoe! I am off to add some destinations to my wish list! 🙂
Great list, and beautiful photos! I agree that Iceland just CHANGES you. It’s indescribable. I went in January with a group of friends and not a day goes by I don’t think of our trip. It’s amazing.
I’m also dying to go somewhere in SE Asia. I have a plan for 3 weeks through Thailand and Cambodia, just need to set a date for it… But maybe I’ll be able to sneak a quicky trip to Bali sometime soon!
And, lastly — I commented on your post about your Norwegian Cruise, but I had no idea they had so many opportunities for solo travelers on cruises!
Hey Maddie – thanks for your comment and sorry I missed your last one.
You are going to love SE Asia – I would HIGHLY recommend visiting Bali, even if only for a couple days. I cannot wait to go back!!
Iceland really is this magical land. I went back for my second trip just two months ago in January and it really is something else. I can’t wait to visit during the summer months to explore more.
Happy travels <3 Nicki
I want to go to all of these places. Except maybe not Florida or Michigan (sorry).
I totally agree that Singapore is a great place to travel solo. I traveled solo there a little over 5 years ago and ended up staying for an entire year. I’m thinking of putting Bai on my list 🙂
First of all, I LOVE your photos! Secondly, these are all great locations to travel solo – I haven’t been to all of them but definitely agree that Bali, Singapore and London are all great solo travel places! Also, I had no idea that Norwegian has a solo traveler option on their cruise ships. I’ll have to check that out!
I’ve done Ireland, Orlando, and Paris solo. I think Iceland is on the roster for 2017, and hopefully Bali soon. Interesting that the cruise has a singles lounge. I will definitely keep that in mind!
I would choose Bali, and that Ubud Temple intrigues me. Philippine is also a choice that I would consider in the near future. But I would add to your list Nepal and Morocco. been there solo, very touristic countries, ok to travel by yourself. 😉
Ahhhh so many incredible photos. Can I just go to each and everyone of these places please? I love the photo of Reykjavik city with all of the colours.
I’ve never actually been on a solo trip but it’s one of my goals for the year! While I don’t think I could do a cruise by myself, Singapore or Paris are definitely calling my name! Nice round up!
Awww, seems like you had a pretty exceptional year! I love the idea of solo traveling as well and would really like to get my butt over to Bali for just some me time 😀 The cotton-candy colored photo from the airplane in the Philippines was out of this world!!! Love the tones! Congratulations and continue adventuring!!!
Your pictures had my heart racing with longing to take on a solo trip this instant. Each destination is exotic, beautiful and somehow I believe that each destination will give a new experience and a sense about who you actually are. I am totally in love with your list!
These are definitely amazing destinations to travel solo! I have such a hard time traveling solo because every time I plan a trip someone wants to join! I’ve done quite a bit of solo travel in the US because I love solo road trips. Iceland is perfect for first-time solo travelers because it’s just so easy to get around! Bali is so romantic and dreamy… I can’t wait to get back there in December.
Your photos are amazing, you made me hungry with the food photos :). I like your list, I’m been to Bali but never to Iceland, so it’s definitely on my bucket list !!! Keep up your good work and your travelling, your blog looks great !
Love this post. I’ve never traveled solo but I def want to and this is a very useful guideline. Love the photos as well 🙂
Lovely to see the Philippines on the list! Also, you take such pretty pictures. What do you use to edit?
Thanks for reading. I try not to do heavy edits – I use a high resolution camera and edit in Lightroom or Snapseed
Thanks! I also use lightroom but find that my pics are nowhere as nice as yours. Lol.
What kind of camera are you using?
I use a canon eos m10. So one of those mirrorless cameras.
Reblogged this on .
What a collection of pictures… Dubai, Singapore and Bali were amazing I visited these places last year… I am really tempted to go Iceland after seeing your post…
Thank you! Iceland is unreal. I went twice in the last year and a half and already want to go back
your pictures are STUNNING! some of these places are on my bucket list. beautiful post, thank you!
Thank you that’s so kind
Reblogged this on Bagatelle Boutique Luxury Handbags.
Beautiful pictures! Iceland looks amazing!
Thank you so much! I love Iceland, it is my favorite country
Love this post and the pictures are amazing. So many great places. I have to say I love Paris and would go back in a heartbeat. I have always traveled with my husband, but I would enjoy it solo as well. So much to see and explore. If I stayed here in the US, I would love to check out Mackinac Island in Michigan. Dubai also sounds really interesting. Iceland is on our list for next year so we will see how it is. Thanks for all the places and suggestions. Happy travels.
Such a great post. I sometimes have trouble getting someone to travel with but I don’t let it stop me. Some great places here, including some I will have to put on my list