I am currently on a whole new adventure in the Philippines. Visiting my 24th country and half way around the world, I have been blown away by the landscapes and hospitality of the Filipino culture.
One of my first island stops was in Bohol. Known for the chocolate hills and Tarsiers, this island was incredible and should be on the top of everyone’s list looking to visit.
Here are my top experiences you should have when you visit Bohol:
- Visit the Chocolate Hills – while the hills are not chocolate colored right now, they do turn a chocolate color at a different time of the year – right now they are lush green. There are more than 1200+ hills and you can see as far as the eyes will allow. They look like small round shaped hills, or as my tour guide said “women’s breasts.” He was right and did not say it offensively – it was his best way of describing them and he did well.
- See the Tarsiers – these cute little animals are nocturnal and sleep during the day. If you happen to find one with their eyes open you can see just how cute they are!
- Take in a sunset – I mean, you are in a Paradise!
- Visit the oldest church – The Church of Baclayon – The church is being renovated as it sustained major damage during an earthquake in 2013. You can still go inside and see how magnificent the alter is, which didn’t suffer any damage at all. It’s quite spectacular really.
- Try UBE – jam, gelato, anything – UBE is where its at! Filipinos have taken this purple yam that is sweet and made it into all kinds of desserts. This is one thing you should not pass up.
- Take a lunch boat cruise on the Loboc River – Buffet style dining on this man made boat that takes you down the Loboc River while listening to live music and seeing gorgeous views of the lake. This was one of my favorite things to experience in Bohol. The river is this stunning color of green and the food was delicious.
- Visit Panglao Beach – with its white sand and glistening hues of blue and turquoise it will be easy to spend a day or two here
- Visit the Butterfly Garden
- Bohol can be reached by flight – I flew with Philippines Airline through Manila and it was about $75 each way
- Finding a tour guide for the day will not be hard – but book in advance to secure a spot with someone
- The day tours are ALL day – pack good walking shoes and be prepared for stairs
We are going to Bohol next week! This post was perfect timing! We are so excited to see the Chocolate Mountains and hopefully we are lucky enough to see the tarsiers like you! Thanks for getting me even more excited about our upcoming trip!
That is awesome! Do you know where you are staying yet? It was amazing
Sooooo we’ve added the phillipines to our bucket list. What a beautiful country and beautiful photos!!!
Thank you! I really hope you guys visit – let me know if you need recommendations – I have many more posts to come 🙂
I have been wanting to go back to Asia for awhile and Philippines is on the top of the list. The scenery and beaches just look amazing. I love butterflies too, so would definitely have to see that.
Yes please visit here you will not regret it
Beautiful photos! I hope to visit it when I come for a holiday again in PH.
I hope you do too! Thanks 🙂
Thank you for taking me back to the places I truly fell in love with! I spent last winter at Bikini beach in Panglao.
And I paddled through Loboc River on a sup board. It was amazing!
I’m so glad to hear you’ve been! Such an amazing place
I’m so excited to get to the Philippines – I’m actually sitting at Canberra airport on my way now! 😀
Yeah I will see you soon at TBEX
EVERYTHING looks incredible!! Especially the river boat cruise and the ube ice cream & toast. I ate an ube donut in NYC the other week and it was delicious. Love this post.
That is on my list of things to eat!! I haven’t had it yet
I love learning about new places! Thanks for the Intro ??❤️ One thing I don’t love about the phillipines was defs the food…. buuuuuut that blue water ?❤️
Oh thats no good – I have found the food to be amazing.
Too bad i have never been to Bohol yet but we will do one next year year with Cebu. Will definitely do all of these
yay! You will have to let me know how it goes. I didn’t get to visit Cebu on this trip.
The Philippines just looks so picture-perfect, I can’t believe that even after living in Asia for 6 years of my life I have not managed to get there yet! The beaches, the palm trees, the water, the mountains – it all looks amazing!
Its a truly amazing country. I really hope you get to visit and see the magic
Ahhh what a fantastic time you look to be having – I’ve been following your Insta feed with great interest. We’re hoping to head to the Philippines before too long so I’ll definitely pop back to your posts, thanks! Is the use really that good?
Sorry, ube 🙂
Hi Sarah! Thanks for following along.
The Philippines have been amazing. I am so excited for you to visit. I still have so much to share.
UBE has become my obsession <3 Somehow they have turned this purple yam and created so many delicious things with it. Definitely eat it when you visit.
Hopefully before too long! Whilst we’re based in the UAE we’re tending to head away from Asia but will get there from NZ when we return 🙂
Love these! Thanks for sharing! Can’t wait to go to the Philippines
Aw man I really missed out. We didn’t have time to squeeze in Bohol last time but I really wanted to rent a bike to see the chocolate hills and tarsiers. Your post makes me regret it so much! Wish we had more time 🙁
I really liked Bohol as well! Really beautiful 🙂
Thank you Nicki for all of this compliments and to all have yet to come to Bohol we would love to welcome you.
Love this post! I am half Filipino and though I have been to the Philippines many times before, I went to Bohol for the first time a couple of years ago! I didn’t visit Panglao though, it is definitely going on my list for next time! Thanks for this post, it really did Bohol justice 🙂
If your first time in Bohol or even your return visit we can assist you out touring around Bohol.
looking forward visiting Bohol in the near future! Heard & read great things ?